Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Research Questions...

I came across this article today and it seems to be a nice blend of the two topics I'm currently interested in, online collaboration and the educational potential of video games.

The more I ponder this topic, more I think an interesting research question is "To what extent does self-interest play in an online learning community?" It seems that learning that takes place in schools is very isolated. I do my work, the instructor grades my papers, and I receive an individual grade at the end of the term. If I happen to be concerned about what my grade I receive, or am interested in the topic at hand, then I'm probably more likely to listen in class and do the work. But if I'm working with a group of people, then there are more reasons to become involved. Now I have peer pressure. Vanity comes into play. Reciprocation is possible. Suddenly there are more reasons to pay attention and do the work.

And doesn’t the group work closer represent what our jobs our like? Who works in a vacuum? I haven’t been given a ‘test’ in my entire career, but I’ve sure worked on a lot of team projects.

8 comments:

gulfidan said...

Hi;
I think we have very similar research interests. I also investigated multiplayer game environments to understand, like Constance, how learning occurs in such environments, specifically how 'coaching' occurs. Though this environment is not my priority. It is an example for me to search for the answer of a broader question...

As for your further research, I will inform you whenever I find some good articles about multiplayer games.

gulfidan

Matthew Buckley said...

Thank you very much...

gulfidan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gulfidan said...

BOOKS

Not multiplayer, but for video games, Dr. Wiley suggested a book last semester.

James Paul Gee, 2003
what video games have to teach us about learning and literacy.

Gee came up with 36 learning principles by actually referring to some games that he played. It does not only describe these specific principles but also underlying general perspective, like semiotic domains and situated learning.

For a videogame-lover like you, I think this will be an enjoyable book to read.

Another book that I have read was:
Markus Friedl
Online game interactivity theory

In fact, all the chapters are really cool! For example player-player interactivity, community design in games, and what interactivity means etc. But only problem is that, Friedl wrote this book without any reference to theories or other ideas. It seems that book was formed by just his thoughts.


WEB SITES

Another thing that Dr. Wiley informed me about was Daedalus project.
http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/
it may also be very related with your interest. You can reach the full articles on the web site.


A blog about multiplayer games
http://blogoehlert.typepad.com/eclippings/gaming_learning/


Trends in MMOG development
http://www.game-research.com/art_trends_in_mmog.asp

Hope these resources may be useful for you sometime.

Gulfidan

Matthew Buckley said...

These are great resources, thank you very much. I actually already own the Gee book, in fact he sent me a copy of his latest version (in word document form) when I wrote to ask him a few questions about something else.

I've also followed Marc Prensky a bit. My first impressions are that he seems to be a bit more on the corporate side of things. Still, he has some interesting things to say.

Still another good book is Simulations and the Future of Learning, by Clark Aldrich. His first chapter tells the readers that if they hope to understand simulations, they must first understand games. He then spends the rest of the book talking about a 'game/simulation' he designed that taught corporate leadership.

Thanks again for these links.

gulfidan said...

Conferences
If you think about writing some papers about games to present in the conferences, this address is very good!. http://ludology.org/index.php?topic=cfp
I wonder why I did not see this before !:) Trying to find some conferences or journals to publish or present work is really hard for me. I hope there are such kinds of web sites that inform people about approaching deadlines for IT issues.

gulfidan said...

Addition: Not only conferences, but also it shows the related journal submission deadlines.
http://ludology.org/index.php

David said...

You should also check out http://www.projectmassive.com/ It's great to have another person interested in this topic!