Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Liberty

When I listen to both sides of an argument, and don't know which opinion I should adhere to, I often ask myself the liberty question. Does this argument or opinion give more liberty to an individual, or less? Liberty is a long topic for another day, but I can think of very few, if any, instances where more personal liberty is a bad thing. Sure, when you give people liberty, things get messy, but in the long run, it's all for the better.

Which is why I think it's too bad that Google is censoring their search results in China. Censoring withholds information, which in turn limits liberty. The end result being that an individual ends up making a decision based on limited or incomplete information.

This image shows the difference between a full Google search, and a censored Google search.

No comments: