Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Need some help with pi?

If you're like me, you're just not pleased with the number of digits to which you have memorized pi. I mean, come on, anybody can say 3.14159. How much cooler is it to be able to say 3.1415926535. And if you really want to be the life of the party, then you need to be able to strike a pose, take a deep breath, and rattle off, 3.14159265358979323846.

Now you're talking.

But if you're like me it can be difficult to memorize pi to this many places. I mean it's just numbers. There is no rhyme nor reason to them. It can really hamper your social life if you can only get to the 12th digit. I mean, come on!

Well, have I got a solution for you. Instead of having to memorize those pesky digits, there is now an easier way. You now only need to memorize this.

That's right, baby. That page contains pi. Do you see it? Count up the letters of each word. That is the next digit in the sequence. It's becomes a simple matter to recite the poem, count up the letters, and bang! you've just produced pi.

So, the next time you find yourself without a calculator, and with no access to the internet, or any math book, but you desperately need pi to 20 places...I've got you covered. Memorize the poem, and you're good to go.

3 comments:

Scott Booker said...

LMAO!! Ok...I think I will stick with the numbers!

I actually had it memorized in High School....but anymore I get stuck after about 8.

Alison Palmer said...

Ok, that is totally not fair. I just had to humble myself and ask my husband how to get the poem thing to work. Talk about embarrassing. I'll get you for this, someday, when you're least expecting it. The lecture was 15minutes long! Curse you!
Loved your comments on the conference and awards, btw.

Jana said...

sec tan cos sin
3.14159
Goooooooo TRIG!

You're welcome.