Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A very cool site...

I came across a site today that I have to share. The State of Florida just dropped their reading curriculum (the nation spends 8 billion dollar a year on curriculum) in favor of a program on the internet, for the low, low price of free.

That's right. Free.

But if it's free it can't be all that good right? I mean if we're spending 8 billion dollars on curriculum then...*snicker* then it has to be of very high...*sputter* quality, right? *guffaw*.

Sorry, I tried really hard to say that with a straight face.

Anyway, check out the site. It has sequential lessons that introduce, reintroduce, and reinforce. There are videos to demonstrate sample lessons and more. It's all quite comprehensive and well put together.

Oh, and did I mention it's free? And not just free, but it's licensed under the creative commons attribution - share alike license. So you can add to, copy, and redistribute, as long as you attribute the work. It's built on medi-wiki.

So, if you know of anybody trying to teach their kids to read, send them on over.

1 comment:

Callie said...

Very interesting! I'm definitely going to have to check this site out!