Sunday, September 04, 2005

Sailing and Diving

I attended a family reunion last week, and had a most enjoyable time. Two things in particular were quite enjoyable.

The first was something I haven't done in over 15 years. We were up at Bear Lake and went to a swimming pool. They had a diving board and one of the sister-in-laws egged us on to do some diving. I don't know why I found it so fun. Maybe because it's not every day that you find yourself flying through the air, your feet above your head. I found out that I can still even do a flip, though not very well.

The second thing I found so enjoyable was something I've wanted to do every since reading C. S. Forester's Horation Hornblower series (I read the books after watching a few of the movies). Oh sure, Hornblower was captain of 45 gun ship of the line boats, while mine was a single passenger Laser. But I managed to not topple the boat while learning the basics of sailing. And Bear Lake is a nice place to learn how to sail because if you fall out of the boat, chances are you're only in 2 feet of water anyway.

Regardless, I found sailing to be every bit intoxicating as Forester made it out to be.

1 comment:

Georgie Porgie said...

I didn't know you went sailing! Next time, take me with you! That sounds like the BEST time, really.